Friday 31 May 2013

One Off The Bucket List: Spa Francorchamps Track Laps

Last weekend was pretty amazing for me. Not only did I get to watch some of the world's finest classic racing machinery pound around Spa at the Spa Classic, but I also got to drive around the legendary circuit myself in my dad's little MG F VVC.

Now my dad is normally quite a macho, lager drinking lad who tells stories of getting drunk and punching men in his youth. But on these fairly steady laps, he was a pretty nervous passenger who is very thankful that the GoPro didn't pick up his screams for me to "Brake! Brake!"

Although the laps were far from flat out, the chance to drive up Eau Rouge and around La Source hairpin was truly a dream come true. I can only hope one day I will return, perhaps in my 182, to challenge this famous circuit at far more adrenaline pumping speeds.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from my weekend, followed by some footage from my track laps.

A 1987 Argo JM19C races towards La Source

Mechanics frantically try and fix a misfire on a '79 Lola T 298 BMW

Spa-Classic Endurance cars line up in the pits ahead of their race

An Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV approaches the grid

A battle scarred '65 Bizzarrini 5300 GT

A '79 BMW M1 faces Eau Rouge in the paddock

Our MG F on one of Belgium's many beautiful country roads

And finally our onboard track footage:


No comments:

Post a Comment